View Single Post
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM       
Well, I get what you're saying and you're right, but the idea was that he was pretending to be a foreigner speaking Spanish unaware of how natives would interpret him.

Since Spanish has huge amounts of regional variants, my guess was that it might be something that only meant something sexual in certain areas or maybe one city or something. Like I said, he was Colombian but this conversation took place in Madrid.

I forget what you would call it, but the tense where you say things like "He venido, has venido, ha venido..." was something I never learned in class but just kind of picked up. When I had a girlfriend who spoke Spanish better than me, she'd yell at me every time I'd use that tense because I was wrong about what situations use it. Months later she apologized when she learned that I was using it properly, but only for Spanish spoken in like a 40-mile radius of Madrid.

One thing that pisses me off about the language is that they can't agree what to call it.

What I've gathered so far:
In Spain, "español" is usually used as word for a nationality but sometimes is used for the language, and if they want to be specific about Spanish spoken in most of Spain they call it "castellano". If you're in Northeastern Spain, you can get away with calling Catalan "español" in many cases, but even though they'll gladly speak Castillian with you you'll be summarily executed if you call their language "castellano". In Argentina, the language is always called "castellano" and "español" always refers to Spain. In Mexico, "español" is the word for the language and if you say "castellano" they'll have no idea what you're talking about. Everywhere else, the difference varies in random patterns that change every fifty miles and if you get it wrong you'll be imprisoned for at least four months, by which time the local rules will have changed.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT