Thread: Hell
View Single Post
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM       
There are five words translated hell.

The first is Hebrew "Sheol" which means the grave, but not just in a death way but in a suffering eternally sense. But it can just symbloize death but it's usually very derogatory. Does that make sense? I'm bad at explaining.

The "flames of gehenna" is actually a flaming landfill/grave for diseased bodies in Israel in the time of Jesus in the area of the valley of Hinnom, It's meant as a simile to hell fire cause the flames not only burn hot with sulfer but smell like CRAP! Jesus uses this to not only symbolize the fires of hell, but also as the trash/corpse heap "pluck out your eye cast it in Gehenna (the trash?) if it causes you to sin" Only Jesus has ever refered to hell by this Simile no one else in the Bible ever compares the two.

It is likely a Middla ages version of Gehenna is where the corpses were going when you heard bell ringing and "Bring out your dead"

"Tarturus" is the greek term meant to portray a place of infinite suffering. No word of the relation to Tartar sauce.

"Hades" which is inclusively reffering to the underworld in greek, but in Christianity/Judiasm Refers to Sheol where you reside between death and ressurection.

There is also the "lake of fire" which some scholars see as something that means annihilation in the end "hell and death are thrown into the lake of fire" others see it as an all inclusive unescapable final hell that will never see anyone new come or go from it. I think it's the annihilation thing but that's just me.

Revelation says those who are cast in the Lake of Fire, all record of them is blotted out, so it's as if they never existed, we won't cry for those in hell anymore because it will be as if they never existed and we will not remember them. Kind of a bittersweet way for God to "wipe away every tear" but it's better then remembering who they were and crying for the then annihilated soul you cared for and loved.