View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:27 PM       
You know, Event Horizon scared the shit out of me too. I couldn't quite put my finger on why. I've been creeped out by space ever since I saw 2001 as a kid, with HAL and that guy convulsing as he floated away. Event Horizon found a way to completely amplify everything that was scary about space and add in a bunch of freaky psychological undercurrents, too.

There's another one that was up there on my list, but I can't remember the name. It's something about alien abductions and owls looking in the windows.

I think the movie that messed me up the most is the Ju-On that the American Grudge is made from. The Grudge is a total joke, but that Ju-On was creepy as all hell. There's one scene where a very quiet, freaky atmosphere has already been set, and this girl is watching tv in a quiet apartment. As she's watching the reporter talking, the audio slowly distorts and the picture does too, but in a way that doesn't quite match the audio distortion. The reporter's face sort of morphs and it ends up with one big staring eye looking out at her. I had nightmares about it. That particular Ju-on was the only one I ever watched that felt like even the DVD had an aura of evil around it. I just wanted to get the hell away from it as quickly as possible.

There are freaky scenes in a lot of J-horror movies. Uzumaki is beautifully done on the whole, but there's one jump scare that always gets me. I'm used to a lot of their jump scare techniques, but I was unprepared for this one in particular.