View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM        Re: America Revisited
Hey Ror, this is my first time reading this thread, so I'm going to respond directly to your initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
I was assigned the task of writing a seven-thousand word analysis on the American Government and how it should be best altered or built upon in order to make greater strides towards "a more perfect union." In working on it, however, I've come to the conclusion that the problem doesn't lie in the framework of our federal government, nor the distribution of power, but rather in the lack of restraint shown by our elected officials and insitutionalized moral ambiguity obfuscating our populace's vision.
Well, I'm not so sure about this "vision". Wouldn't you say that one of the key reasons our elected officials have become less responsible would be the lack of a civic responsibility in America? In other words, if our politicians are corrupt and immoral, isn't it more a reflection of a broad national problem as opposed to merely a governmental problem...?

On the note of immorality: Our leaders have ALWAYS been immoral, they've always cheated on their wives, hadchildren out of wedlock, have been alcoholics, Jefferson was TERRIBLE with his personal finances, etc. etc.

So, is this really simply a modern issue...?

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, am I completely off my rocker in having so much faith in the system itself, or am I right in assuming what failings our country possesses can be layed at the feet of the last two generations which have walked out on its responsibilities?
Like I have said, government corruption, as well as immorality, has ALWATS been an issue. So perhaps the important question may be does this system cultivate and ENCOURAGE such immorality and corruption....?