Thread: Told you so
View Single Post
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
Would you even believe any positive feedback on Iraq? Since General Petraeus has taken over under the so-called surge, there has been some substantive change. Baghdad has been brought under control exponentially, and places such as Anbar have made a remarkably quick turnaround.

Would any good news sway you? My guess is no, and my guess is that your opinion is a political one that's already decided.

Seth, I'll touch on your thoughts later.
Speaking for myself, I dont find it hard to believe reports of reductions in casualties (I'm assuming "exponential" is hyperbole) when there are tanks and humvees on every other street corner. Those statistics also say that the number of attacks remains steady. I'm not sure "turnaround" was the best word choice, either. (What I can't believe is the notion that Iraq was going to build a nuke, try as they might, under the noses of the international community- or US intelligence, for that matter. Anyone who believes otherwise is drinking kool-aid.)

The blatant waste and mismanagement of something so serious as an invasion isn't going to be absolved by even the greatest of triumphs, so believe me I am eager to hear something encouraging here.