View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pram Maven View Post
Chojin- I know what calories are, but carbohydrates are not something I've ever fully understood. Does that have anything to do with starch? I know sugar and starch are related, that's why I ask. Protein, I think, I've got covered with meat and eggs. Despite eating small meals, it's been largely microwaveable pizzas and burritos. I may be skinny, but that does not necessarily mean I eat right. Something to work on, but healthy food is so expensive.
Carbohydrates come in starch, sugar, and fiber. On a nutritional label, deduct fiber and sugar from the total carb amount and you have the amount of starch. Count your calories with a calorie tracker to find out what your daily ratios are. Most people don't get enough protein and get too much sugar.

Healthy food isn't expensive, you're just not used to buying and preparing it (you also probably have no concept of what makes a food "healthy", like most people; people seem to associate organics and expensive variations on produce with health, which isn't the case). I'll submit that it's inconvenient to eat lean, but it's even less convenient to have a variety of physical and mental disorders. You seem to have enough free time, so no excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0k0 View Post
Since I'm working out of the house most of the time I don't get a lot of sun causing me to have a vitamin D deficiency. Will that in any way fuck up my chances of getting stronger/losing some weight? I know it means I'll have less energy, but is vitamin D necessary for me other than that? I have started taking vitamin d supplements and trying to get more sun on my breaks.
Vitamin D supports mental health, helps to regulate blood pressure, and has a variety of other benefits. It's about $10 for an 8 month supply (link). It won't kill you to not take it, but it's a good idea to make it happen. Fish oil is more important than D, especially if your goal is fat loss. An effective dose of fish oil is about 5g total (ratio of EPA/DHA assumed normal), and an effective dose of D in the summer is 5,000 IU. These are both well above the recommended doses of both, but the "normal" amount borders on homeopathic dosages. Fish oil capsules generally contain 1g of oil each, so it's more convenient to supplement it in liquid form (link). Vitamin D you can get in small 5,000 IU capsules, as linked above.