View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM       
We've got a few here in our little town. There's one man who'll trail people walking on the square and if they throw something in the garbage, he'll dig through the trash can to see if it was anything good. And due to growing drug use everywhere, it's no longer that uncommon to see crackheads digging through garbage for usable lighters and stuff.

We have a soup kitchen in town, and one winter I got it in my head that I wanted to donate to it. I don't have very much money as it is, but the plan was to get stuff from their online wishlist from a warehouse club and drop it on the front porch so it could be an anonymous donation. That was promptly shot to hell, as there was a sign saying that no dropped-off donations would be accepted. Then I had to call the parish house and bother the priest to see who could accept the donation.

The person who was supposed to never showed up, and I couldn't physically carry the items all over the place, so I had to go bother the priest again. He made it plain he'd had just about enough of me. He didn't lift a finger to help, other than to unlock the door and point. And when he saw that it wasn't a truckload of food, he said very sarcastically, "Thank you so much for the generous donation." That really pissed me off, especially because the whole plan was to drop it off and not solicit thanks in the first place (sardonic or otherwise).

I decided after that, no more dealing with that parish or that soup kitchen ever again.