View Single Post
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM       
I got Dragon's Dogma a couple weeks ago, and I can't stop playing it.

Complaints include the awful quest system, wherein 95% of the quests are kill/gather quests, the lack of a modern fast travel system (spending a fortune on ferrystones is bs), and Capcom's stilted approach to storytelling that makes all the characters seem like robots and psychopaths.

The thing that's just started to bug me, though, is the companion AI. Even a simple ME-style command wheel would have been appreciated when my mage continues to put fire enchantments on my weapons while barking that fire is useless against an enemy we've fought maybe 30 times before.

The best came during one late-game battle where we took on a dragon: I had kitted out my mage servant with a bunch of potent ice spells for just such an occasion, but he seemed to be having some trouble pulling one off. So, I and the other two had to peck away at the thing because he kept putting fire enchants on our weapons. Then, all of a sudden, he decided to take his own advice and fire off one of the big ice spells I gave him. Half the dragon's health instantly disappeared, and the other half went a second later, and I sat there wondering why a mage who keeps asking me how he performed could be such a worthless fuck at times.

I guess I'm just glad the game is like Dead Rising, in that it starts off pretty tough, but you can level your way through the toughness. Otherwise, shitty AI might be a bigger problem.