View Single Post
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 04:18 AM       
Alternatively, you'll get to about level 20, enter the dungeon-swag game and realize how incompatable you are with being ordered about by condescending fuckheads with no life

Which, incidentally, is why you should never play TF2 with me.

Playing Ico and MGS3 side by side has made me realize why I hate the latter; since Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation (and indeed, maybe even Metal Gear, which I forgot came with the Subsistence editon of 3), MGS as a franchise has done little to no evolving, and anything resembling changes have all been in the wrong direction, see also the increased tendency towards 20 hour cutscenes and retro-camp-deprecation humor. MGS1 got away with that shit because a, it was relatively conservative about applying silliness lest it mar the super-serious-business dramatic storyline trying to occupy the same space as a sarcastically self-aware low-res stealth game, and two, shit was brand cracking new and seemed to make people collectively realize that games could be just as inclined towards storytime as any other medium.

But while other people took Metal Gear's erection for pushing games into semi-literate territory and have improved upon it - see my previous post on Ico in which I describe the emotions being portrayed by the in-game walk cycle - Metal Gear itself just made the fucking cutscenes longer, effectively doing the opposite of other guys: saying nothing with a million billion words. Per minute.

So, that's what I don't like about Metal Gear as a series: it obstinately refuses to move forward, except to increase the amount of things in it that belong in a cartoon show. Kojima knows the shit out of that, too, since he made Metal Gear Solid 2, but I guess now his mind's just snapped and he's taken to wallowing in his own spunk like Death Proof era Quentin Tarantino. I could also be talking out of my ass since I haven't gotten around to playing Guns of the Patriots yet, but I hightly doubt it!

Although, as a non-ragey aside, the soundtrack in MGS3 is all kinds of awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5b3PqMezmk

They also really nailed the ambient jungle noises, I think, and even though the level design by and large was shitty as hell, I'll find enjoyment wherever there's stealthan to do. And I guess the bosses were ok. I guess. The End and The Fury are major high points, although I was stoned badly fighting Fury so he may have been marginally less terrifying than I originally thought. I also spent the entire game looking forward to fighting The Boss, only to have the camera now be fixed instead of mapped to the right thumbstick, crippling my visibility and forcing me to just put on snow camo and Geisha makeup, hide in an extreme corner and snipe her to death. It worked, but it was stupid.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Feb 13th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.