View Single Post
Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Small potatoes multiplied by thousands upon thousands is a significant fraction of this country's GDP. It probably doesn't equal one EXXON/MOBIL, but then again, their profits dwarf all but about 20 countries in the world.
Like TheLeader said,

I'm not saying that these small time manufacturers aren't there and making a difference. As said in my previous post, it's one of the reasons why the US economy is still crawling along. That doesn't change the fact that since Free Trade / Globalization has taken hold our manufacturing base has gone from 50% of the countries economy to less than 20%.

This has shown in the dwindling pay, jobs, benefits, and incentives for people to start their own businesses.

20% is a significant fraction of the economy but as manufacturing lowers so do the standard of living of the population.

And our oil fields need to be government run. Allow those superprofits to go to the people instead of going to the CEO and Board of a directors of a cartel.

Quote:
Our "cottage industries" provide jobs, goods and services, and drive the economy from the ground, not the other way around. We can't afford not to do more with less, and the "less" comes in the form of running an agile, or lean organization, not from cutting wages or jobs. We're as big as we've ever been, and we're hiring more individuals.
I can't speak for your business. What I can do is acknowledge the reality of the economic situation that has been in a downward spiral since the 1960's.

The US citizens standard of living has been cut by 2/3 since then and continues to drop as long as big business is at the wheel of the ship. Your business is in the crosshairs of multinational corporations and every day of the depression that goes by more people loose their homes, businesses, and jobs.

Quote:
I'm only speaking from one company's perspective, but I can assure you the movement is pervasive across industrial boundaries and organizational frameworks.
I hope you are correct, problem is that laws and taxes are created in a way to stamp out wealth from private individuals and to place a negative incentives on starting a business, ,manufacturing or otherwise.

Quote:
So, with all due respect, you are not speaking from a position of knowledge here. I am.
If you were speaking from a position of knowledge, we would be agreeing....which we kind of are but you still have the rose tinted glasses on. Take them off and see the rubble field around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leader View Post
I think he just means that American industry has been devastated compared to what it was
Exactly, Watson!

The games a foot!