Thread: Abortion
View Single Post
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:04 PM       
Quote:
The more "enlightened" we get, the less respect we have for the weakest among us. Funny how the liberals talk about how much of a champion they are for the defenseless.......
Like you and the poor, huh, Vinth?

Quote:
But it is currently improbable to test the DNA of a fetus.
It's very probable to test DNA, so I'm going to assume you meant impractical. Sure, it's impractical: why bother checking each person before performing an abortion?

"Yep, that's a couple a human cells in there, alright."

Quote:
All normal humans have 46 pairs of chromosomes, thus it is logical to assume that if a defect hasn't been detected in the child during pregnancy the fetus has a 46 chromosome pair set. This would in essence make it human. And give it the rights of all humans.
So someone with 47 chromosomes or other defect isn't essentially human and therefore can be aborted no matter what?

By using genetics as a basis, you can only define physically what is human and what is not. And, the end result is dependant on the conditions that the cell has to grow in.

Again, look at my cells from here and there example. They've got human DNA chromosomes in them, so do they count as human too? We can keep organs alive in machines, so because they have chromosomes and DNA, should they be granted rights? "In essence" they are human, too.

Quote:
And without something shattering that illusion of control, you are likely to only gain better educated pregnant teens.
I think you might have misunderstood me; I meant better education about the risks involved in unprotected sex, not better education overall, although that couldn't hurt.

Regardless, though, I didn't meet a single person in high school with an average above 80% that got pregnant themselves or got someone pregnant. Better educated people tend to evaluate the consequences more.