Thread: Abortion
View Single Post
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:54 PM       
I have stood on both sides of this issue, it has been argued ad nauseum here, and frankly the topic bores me now. I will throw my two cents in the bucket though, because I said I would.

I agree with Kellychaos, who said pretty much the same thing I was going to say. Personally, I am against abortion as far as an after-the-fact method of birth control. But there are plenty of other situations where abortion is not only a viable option (in cases of rape or incest, or if the child will be so deformed that they will never have much chance of a real life), but sometimes even necessary (life of the mother threatened by the pregnancy). Because of these exceptions to the rule, you cannot outright make abortion illegal. I'd rather see a normal child adopted than aborted, but it's not my place to make someone else's moral decisions for them.

That said, limits certainly do need to be maintained as far as a cut-off date where abortion is no longer allowed in the pregnancy, when the fetus is developed past a certain point. Agreeing on when exactly life begins is a difficult matter however, since both sides seem to differ in their definition and criteria somewhat.

I would rather see abortions performed in a safe, clean, clinical environment than in a back alley with a clothes hanger. Keep it legal, there's no other way. This is America, we should have the freedom to make our own choices.