View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM       
I guess the story is that the guy described his beer stand as "South of the (North Carolina) Border" so often, it being right on the border, that he just got to thinking why not make it this giant Speedy Gonzalez-like generalization of a theme park.

I'm not kidding when I say that they used to call every employee Pedro. Charming story there, too. He hired two "Mexicans" to work for him, and without the benefit of having asked their real names decided they were "Pancho" and "Pedro". It was too hard to remember both fake names so he just started calling them both Pedro, and it stayed that way for years upon years, every employee of the place was Pedro.

Now they're mainly heavyset, middle-aged, completely indifferent women in yellow poncho uniforms.

Edit: This reminds me very much of an old neighbor, who employed two Latino handymen and called them both Juan. He would wait for someone to ask their names and then joke, "Well, this is Juan and that's Juan too...because when you've seen Juan....you've seen 'em all!" (riotous laughter) Juan #1's wife taught me Spanish, starting with "puta", describing her employer as I was helping her windex individual tiles of the kitchen floor.