View Single Post
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM       
Still playing Day Z. It's a wonderful study of human behaviour. For those of you, who don't know what i'm talking about, Day Z is a free modification for ArmA II. It's in alpha stage still, but completely playable and has skyrocketed the sales of ArmA II.

The idea of the mod is, that you have about 250 square kilometers of post-zombie apocalypse world to explore. If you ever played any of the Stalker games, it pretty much looks like that. There are zombies everywhere and they are hella dangerous. The only goal you have is to survive. You scavenge for supplies and weapons, and if you are lucky, you might even find a vehicle. Everything in the game is made in the terms of realism. You can brake your bones, bleed out, pass out from dehydration, panic etc. and day and night change in real time. You don't have a map of the area, but you can find a compass or even a gps to help you. You can hunt animals and build a fire to cook the meat. Of course, building a fire at night is risky business. It attracts nearby zombies, but more importantly, other humans.

Even though zombies are dangerous, you eventually learn how to avoid them. Humans are another story. The game does not have a global chat (thank god) and there are no name tags hovering on top of the players, so you have no idea if a player is aggressive toward you or not. I usually choose to hide, if I see another player and he/she has not seen me yet. On some servers, there are organized "killing squads", that move in teams and their goal is to hunt other players and steal their shit. You are fucked if you run into these and they see you. There are friendly players too, of course, but I wouldn't trust anyone. Once, a player handed me water and let me stay in a barn he was occupying. Then shot me in the back of the head once I was comfortable.

Highly recommended game, even though it still buggy as hell. You sometimes get stuck in narrow doors, zombies can sometimes see you through walls and the inventory system is just awful. But it still alpha, so it's to be expected.