Thread: Science!
View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Damn.
Not to worry, citizen. If I can provide some insight to a query, I will always try. However, on these boards there's only one individual worthy of being the "Go-To Answer Guy". And he has his own thread already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos
I was kind of wondering about this same subject the other day. If we are so busy trying to find water on other planets and moons, why arent we trying to get a better look at comets? Are they not giant hunks of ice and dirt hurtling through space?
Yes, very little has been done in the arena of comet reconnaissance, or asteroid reconnaissance for that matter. In my opinion, this is where the immediate future of space exploration lies - looking for raw materials amongst the smaller denizens of our own solar system.

On a related note, the "Dawn" mission to the asteroid belt using ion propulsion technology will be arriving at Vesta within 2 years.
You may already be there.