View Single Post
duuuuuuuude!
some girl named lauren is probably a spambot
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
Nearly all of the Misfits songs have been covered by Metallica, including Die Die Die My Darling. The Metallica versions are also vastly superior. I hate to knock the Misfits, because they are a very creative band, but let's face it, Danzig can't sing and the rest of the band can't play. The Metallica versions have crisp, intelligable lyrics and sharp, complex guitar work that make for a far more enjoyable listen. And for the record, except for that odd few months when they were going to a therapist (St. Anger) Metallica has NEVER and will NEVER suck.
Part of the charm of The Misfits is the fact that the recordings are of terrible quality. Another chunk of the charm comes from the fact that everybody sounds slightly intoxicated and angry and incoherent. While low-grade recordings are hardly universally enjoyable, in the case of The Misfits, the lo-fi settles well. Being able to understand the lyrics (as in the Metallica covers) actually ruins some of the mystique of the songs. That said, I do like the Metallica covers but they are much like the rest of Metallica's body of work-- very polished and enjoyable but not tremendously creative. (I would like to point out the fact that "creative" and "very talented" are not synonymous.) The absurd theatrics of The Msifits in both their music and in their Danzig-era performances are two things that make the muddled, low quality recordings full of that occult (as in secret) captivating aesthetic.

Then again, there's nothing to say that any of us have to agree in terms of our musical tastes. I like a lot of polished and crisp music but it can't always beat out an energetic and confusingly presented record on the basis of its refinement alone.