View Single Post
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM       
When I was in high school I was very interested in Lotus as a company. I noticed that there was a substantial market disparity between their values in the UK and what they would fetch in the US, and at the time I calculated that I could actually fly to England to buy a Lotus, put on a boat to the US, dick around until it gets there, then fly the the American dock and sell it somewhere at a nice profit. I told myself that I'd do that when I had startup capital, which I probably imagined would come before I turned 23/before the UK pound gained so heavily against the dollar.

I know that there are CULTURAL BARRIERS in place that you can't appreciate it as much as I do when I say this, but the Lotus you posted is pretty fucking badass.

The very, very few Americans who know that there's a British automotive company called Lotus largely have a bad impression of their styling because of the movie Pretty Woman. That was a pretty ugly fucking car, and the whole "Richard Gere is a cold and uncaring prick who obsesses over his fucking ugly car, which happens to be a Lotus" subtext really didn't help.

Seth talking about cars: justified because they're British cars.
Seth talking about the movie Pretty Woman: justified because he was assigned to watch it for a high school English class.

Bizarre full-circle end of conversation: when I was in the market for a BMW convertible on eBay back in 2001, the first one I ever bid on was sold by a Disney employee who noted that its first owner was Julia Roberts, who bought it soon after Pretty Woman was released.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT