View Single Post
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahmo View Post
you get the feeling SEGA can't do anything right anymore.
To be fair, SEGA still puts out decent stuff (Valkyria Chronicles has instilled a strong sense of console envy in me), it's just that the studios that work on the Sonic titles are usually really, really bad (namely, Sonic Team).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
I've always wondered if Sonic Xtreme would have set the stage for decent 3D Sonic games.
I seriously doubt it. If you've ever seen some of the final videos of the project, you'd see how disorienting the camera is (albeit cool) and how garbage the level design is in tandem to your newly downgraded peripheral vision. There are all sorts of things that would be hard to spot without knowing where everything is firsthand.

I actually kinda like the system used in the 3D Sonic platformers, it's just that SEGA can't fix shit. Homing works whenever the fuck it feels like working (maybe), collisions are usually garbage, and SEGA has this obsession with giving us gameplay we don't even WANT (if you ever played Adventure 2, you probably just beat the shooting/hunting stages so you could hurry up and go back to running).

They can't seem to understand that we just want to run (ex: shooting, hunting, driving, telekinetic floating, rubber-band werewolf combat) and even when they do, they screw THAT up (Secret Rings). Then the next Sonic game "will be the game that sets everything right".

It's like when you're telling a kid to stop picking their nose, and they say they're going to stop, but then they keep doing it.

EDIT: First major review's out. 5/10.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...me-review.html

Last edited by Phoenix Gamma : Nov 18th, 2008 at 07:51 PM.