View Single Post
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff The Ninja View Post
That is true, except its not the Friday the 13th mindset he is in. Its the 1970's exploitation film mindset. Look at the Devils Rejects and House of 1000 corpses. I found more similarities between those films and The original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (which in my opinion, was kind of a Exploitation film in the way the violence and presentation was handled) and other low budget movies from that same era.
To a point, yes. But we have to remember that Halloween itself was considered an exploitation flick and, by the nature of the ones I've seen, not exactly a hardcore one. If anything Zombie's focus was too extreme in thinking that Halloween was exactly the same as Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not all exploitation films were made the same way (despite the label 'exploitation') and Zombie should have known better. Being a horror fan, he should know that Halloween was more focused on the terror aspect with the gore being a backer to it for impact, not the sole impact of the movie itself.

Quote:
If Zombie were left to do his own films, not remakes or other things, with his own original ideas, we would undoubtedly see a lot more quality work coming out from him. The problem with halloween it seems (havent seen it yet) is that it isnt a halloween movie, its just a movie that seems to have the the name tacked on top of it.
Indeed. He may love doing remakes in the future, but with Devil's Rejects he was able to show that he's fully capable of doing his own works with great effect. I almost wish that Grindhouse had become a bigger hit so he could actually do his own version of those style of films in his own vein. I'd love for him to actually make a movie with the same pastiche feel of 'Werewolf Women of the SS.'