View Single Post
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:37 AM        Racism
Quote:
Though I think any self-identification based on a fiction such as race is silly, and not so good, VCA you're missing or downplaying the point. The difference is power, and it's as obvious as a cannonball to the face that caucasians dominate American society. Racism is -still- a serious problem, whether it is the classical 'i hate you nig' associated with the south or the less obvious, but still
pervasive arrogant, self-segregating white population of the north.
I think that type of self identification is a huge part of the problem. And racist in itself.
I see Asian Pride shirts all the time. I see Latino Pride sirts all the time. I still see Black Pride shirts fairly often as well. But do I see Caucasian Pride shirts? HELL NO. THe person would be beaten or sued for being a racist or insensitive.
This is what I mean by look in the mirror.

Quote:
Merit is -hardly- the only qualification for college admissions. Not just diversity, but also athletic prowess and legacies get people in, in spite of merit. No one is suing UMich because their football players get preferential treatment (it says so on their admissions calculation sheet), or Harvard because they let in some dumb-as-rocks blueblood named Tadd Winthrop because his family has been going to the big H since 1636. It's bloody hypocrisy.
Ok how about this. A white and a black are applying for a scholarship. They are completely identical in their applications, sports, leadership, you name it. The only difference is race. Guess who has the better chance of getting the scholarship?

Quote:
This is fucking crap. No one is burning down your house, or mutilating your genitals. All you are asked to do is change a few words you use in everyday language, and be a little more sensitive towards people who are sensitive to racism for whatever reason. Stop complaining.
You know what...fuck that....stop being so damn sensitive. Try growing up. Most people don't mean anything remotly racist by using the words black or hispanic or asian to describe someone. It is the same as saying blond with blue eyes or red headed. It is the ones who take it as a racist remark who are actually racist themselves. And it doesn't matter what a person changes in their vocabulary some people are offended by the term black, other by african american. Or how about latino or hispanic or mexican? Which one of those is right?

And as for burning down houses or mutilating genitals.......
Trying being white and living in a predominantly hispanic or black neighborhood.
Again, look in the mirror.

Quote:
Not to mention, you lumping people into broad, sweeping categories such as 'asian' or 'hispanic' is also racism, I would say.
And lumping all people with pale skin into WHITE isn't?
Hey look, there's that mirror again........