View Single Post
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:25 PM       
Quote:
You can't have it both ways, either you support true equality, or you don't. There is no middle ground on an issue like this. Personally, I believe in the merit of the individual, and therefore true equality in everything. Including race.
I will repeat "I think any preferential treatment to people who don't deserve it is unfair."
You are saying the same exact thing I did.

Quote:
There are minorities in California, or else the DMV, Voter Registration and Board of Education would not see fit to ensure that all forms are provided in languages other than English. It is our national language, and no others would be needed except to meet the needs of MINORITIES. I don't use the term judgementally, save that they obviously are not the majority regardless of how numerous such individuals are.
Sorry, I forgot, Race=minority.

Quote:
Bisexuality is a choice. Race and gender is not, I don't believe it can be considered on the same level. Secondly, I suppose this undermines your 'No Minorities Exist' theory above then doesn't it?
1)The argument over sexual orientation is a whole other matter. As someone who has been equally attracted to both male and female since grade school, I can say it was never a choice. It just was.
2) It is called angry sarcasm. I was being accused of talking about how tough I as a white had it. I was pointing out that as a minority (based on what he/she was calling a minorty) I had it tougher than most other "minorities"
I still make no excuses, I have never used my race to get me anything. I despise people who do.
EARN IT!

Quote:
Name three.
Education Code §§ 87100-87107 require the governing board of each community college district to establish an affirmative action plan (with goals and timetables) to hire and promote "persons who are underrepresented in the work force compared to their number in the population, including handicapped persons, women, and persons of racial and ethnic backgrounds" with respect to administrative, faculty, and other positions.

Government Code § 16850 requires the State Treasurer to meet a goal of awarding not less than 15% of the annual value of professional bond services contracts to minority-owned firms and not less than 5% to women-owned firms.

In selecting contractors to perform this work, Public Contract Code §§ 10115-10115.15 forbid the Department from limiting its selection criteria to the lowest bid. Instead, those laws require state agencies or departments to establish a goal that 15% of the value of the contract work will be provided to minority-owned businesses and 5% of the value to women owned-businesses. Contracts are then let to the lowest bidder who meets this goal or who, in the discretion of the agency, has made good faith efforts to meet the goal. Pub. Cont. Code § 10115.2(a); 2 Cal. Code of Regs. § 1896.63(b).

These requirements "have the practical effect of requiring" prime contractors to adopt bid preferences and set asides for women- and minority-owned businesses. these statutes "effectively encourage, if not compel, [prime contractors] to adopt discriminatory programs." Bras v. California Public Utilities Commission, 59 F.3d 869, 875 (9th Cir. 1995).

Protecting "minorities" is one thing, but showing preferntial tratement to them simply because of race (or gender or religion or...or...or..) is unfair.