View Single Post

FS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:29 PM       
apportioner, my problem is that political correctness ISN'T as simple as changing or not using a few words. If it were, I wouldn't be having a problem with the extremities in which it can be applied. My problem is that some people start to question whether or not I'm a racist the moment I even so much as mention an ethnic group of people, especially if I attribute a potentially negative quality to them. I have to pretend every person looks the same to me while people of other ethnic groups will not (this is not meant as fingerpointing). In my country, for a long period of time, it was taboo to publish figures that stated clear as glass that certain groups of immigrants were largely involved in crime. What the fuck is that? Political correctness should not adjust the truth.

The mere fact that I do not want to discriminate should clear me. I can't look at a black man and not notice he's black, but I can treat him like every other person, no better and no worse. That should be enough.

Today, people will look into a movie or book to find "undertones of racism". Maybe I'm naive, but why would a writer or director try to hide racial prejudice in his work? To snicker malignantly when he sees people watch or read it? So political correctness sets the line between joke and reality. If someone is willing to apologize for offending a person, then he probably wasn't trying to offend them in the first place. Alright, that won't change that sometimes people get offended. But when did that start becoming a cause of national concern?

I agree that ethnic groups who have been done wrong in the past should be given aid now to be brought to an equal level with western whites. And yes, certain people have to remain vigilant to prevent employers and social institutes to treat everyone fairly. But that does not involve watching over me to ensure I don't "offend" anyone.

And uh, Ror, let's not bring the case of sexuality and choice into this as well. :P