View Single Post
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
so you buy strategy guides for no real reason, then complain about not having enough money to buy games?
I'd rather spend the money on something I'm guaranteed to enjoy. I can't just go buy a brand new game for $30-$40 and hope I like it.

That said, I'm about 4 hours into FF Tactics, which includes two story-driven battles and two random battles. I forgot how long and hard this game can be. Like, I like how the last people on my team to act are Chemists, who revive my main guy who MUST survive or else it's game over, then the enemies have their turn and just re-kill him.

But I think I'm doing pretty good. I've got the bulk of my team up to around level 4, and I may pick up one or two more characters and work on them a little (if I can, since bringing a new Level 1 into even the initial battles can mean instant death). But I'm developing my jobs and skills fairly quickly. It's fun, just difficult. I think that's why I stopped playing in the first place; I got to this douche of a boss who raped my team over and over, until I finally lucked out and killed him.

Difficulty's no big deal, so long as it doesn't get ridiculous. I'd like to think that the introductory parts are just horribly imbalanced, and things will shape up better once my guys improve. I think the biggest problem here is that they overcomplicated the game. They don't give you enough of an idea on if you have a direct line of sight, and you have to commit to movement before you can attack, so you can't tell if where you're moving will be a good position to attack from. Then you have the zodiac compatability, monster raising, job propositions, having to desperately try and save a character from oblivion, earning EXP and Job Points through action, etc. It's just a really complex game, and probably not the best strategy game to start off with (FF Tactics is the only tactical RPG I've ever played).