View Single Post
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
The people who made that game worked on Portal. Valve hired them after they saw the game, picked up the concept, then fleshed it out into a full retail game. I wouldn't say that project explores the concept enough to be an alternative to Portal, though I recognize it's importance to the development of something much greater. And even if Portal is or isn't original, it's still a really solid game. As you said, originality doesn't matter as long as the game's fun, and I happen to think Portal was very fun. I'd give it a B+.

And since this still isn't the argue about games thread, I'm gonna talk about another game that I'm playing right now.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclasia is pretty rad. I just made it to Dracula's Castle, which is pretty intense, since it's probably the same size as every other level combined. The glyph system is really awesome, but I wish it gave you more to collect to fight with. I love being able to finally combo monsters, and the steep difficulty doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. It's hard as balls, but managable.

Great game, but I'm getting a little tired of these "Metroidvania" games. I know they're the only ones that sell anymore (lolJudgement) but they haven't done anything radical to the main series since Symphony of the Night.