Thread: Time
View Single Post
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:17 AM       
I tend towards embracing the "block universe theory" in it's most static sense when it comes to Time. More along the lines of the Jewish-Zoroastrian notion that time is linear, a view which has been supported -though hardly proven- by R. Feynman's 'Arrow of Time' (as it relates to Thermal Dynamics).

It's really not so cut and dry as that however. I seem to recall reading some papers regarding the relationship between gravity and time, and how quanta particals -due to their nearly nil mass [making them virtually invisible to gravity's influence] they are able to 'communicate' and 'cooridinate' their actions instaneously [literally (and not merely where we can extrapolate from the results, but also on a hypedimensional level if one were to accept the multiverse understanding of "reality")], and in theory, possibly in the past - We being unaware of it because we are limited by our perception of the present, which is nothing more than a "projection of our own temporal asymmetry" - to use the words of Huw Price.

In any case, as varied and flawed as our (various) perceptions of time are, I don't believe our inability to grasp such a vast concept should cause us to question its existance altogether. Neither should the question be shrugged off casually. If one questions the existance of time, then one must also question the whole of scientific accomplishment. Were time an illusion, laws like TD2 (the existance of entropy) or the nature of warped singularities within Planck Length would be nothing more than fanciful lies. Or mad delusions.

I'm sort of out of it, I hope the above was lucid, but really I'm a layman when it comes to quantum theory and mechanics, so I am quite certainly out of my depth. Hopefully my opinion helped somewhat.