View Single Post
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:41 PM       
Sting may not have worn deviant clothing, but he did dance n Quadraphenia, and believe me, having watched it I hope such ballroom manoeuvres are considered deviant for all time.

On the topic, however, the man has a legitimate point. Laws are neither moral or immoral, they are standards of acceptable actions within a society. I think everyone will grant me this point. There are many influences which can contribute to a society's idea of what is acceptable, and also unacceptable. Literature, film, music, any and all of these have access to a large enough platform of distrabution to influence a society. Movies beget trends, mostly benign, as does music, but the messages of both must also be taken into account. I think many of you discount the importance music has played in America. It has had almost an absurdly large impact.

Am I championing censorship? Hardly. But I am saying that, like anything else, an element of responsibility needs to be involved. Children cannot be expected to show restraint or responsibility until they reach adulthood, no more than you can expect a puppy not to piddle on the floor prior to housebreaking. Is this man truly an asshole for believing that children shouldn't be exposed to questionable lyrics before they have the maturity to seperate reality from fiction? I don't think so.

His entire point was summed up in this sentence: "We have a duty to monitor our children's experiences, to insulate them from that which is bad and unpleasant." Is banning excessive? Perhaps. Is letting such plausibly influencial and purely negative lyrics run rampant irresponsible? Certainly.