View Single Post
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM       
Hawks vs. Nuggets would be just as uninteresting as the final we have. At least the best players are out there.

My prior statement about interest in the final versus what it was in 1987 wasn't based on derision of stars like Kobe or KG, but of the simple fact that a much more select few give a shit today. The NBA didn't know where to go after Jordan, and it still doesn't. Lakers and Celtics is attractive to viewers (and therefore, to ABC/ESPN/Disney) because those team names mean something to anyone who has followed the sport.

I love the game, I just think that a lot of the mystique is gone. I don't know many who are that interested, except people I know from SoCal or Mass. That wasn't the case 21 years ago. Finals series like Spurs vs. Nets haven't helped regain the allure of eras gone by, but I question if that is the fault of the fans or the league and its players.
...I proved, son, without a shadow of a doubt, you ain't got what it takes anymore! You sit there, and you thump your bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16; Austin 3:16 says, "I just whipped your ass!"