View Single Post

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Hippo View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't canada and scandinavia have socialized health care, and I've never heard of problems with their health care. And it's not like america's health care is great.
And they pay more taxes.

Quote:
  • Taxes in Sweden consume more than 50 percent of GDP. The aggregate tax burden rose by about 150 percent between 1950 and 1980, but has since that time remained relatively stable. 1
  • The top marginal income tax rate is about 57 percent. While punitive, the top rate used to be nearly 90 percent in the late 1970s. While the long-term trend is positive, the short-term trend is unfavorable. The top tax rate had fallen to 51 percent immediately after the 1991 reform.
F&P

Canada is becoming even more Capitalist in their health care:

Quote:
However, Canada is beginning to run into problems, as reported in the Wall Street Journal today. Like the USA, Canada is beginning to face the specter of an aging population. Pressure on doctors and facilities started to choke things up last year. Even though the country has had very tight restrictions on providing private care, the Supreme Court decided the ban had to be relaxed; too many people were suffering from long waiting lists and crowded hospitals. Now a second-tier of health care is building up, a U.S. style of paid physicians. Restrictions are still tight...but they're loosening.
Progressive U

With this system it's much like our own: huge payments to a lot of people who are deeemed as needing the healthcare for free while others pay their own way for convenience.