View Single Post
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 04:49 PM       
By profession, I'm normally a cook. I'm not afraid to do dishes but, avoid it when I can. When I applied, I was hired on the spot (they were desparate) and was offered 9 bucks an hour, which isn't too bad for shit-work.

But yeah, I liked the people, for the most part. After a couple months though, a few things drove me over the edge, and I walked out during the Saturday night rush.

1) I was the only dish washer in a restaurant that had 7 cooks, 3 bartenders and 12-15 waitstaff. Management was impressed that I could keep up without any problems on weekend night.

2) Almost every night, after the dinner rush, everyone who wasn't closing would dump all their dishes on me all at once. After 5 minutes, all of them would want their dishes first, especially waitstaff. After 3-4 days, I had no problem with saying "Get in fucking line" but had to say it everyday, like it was a new thing.

3) After finding out I was fast on dishes, management also had me do prep work. Which was impossible sometimes because the cooks would constantly screw around with my tasks while they were closing their stations.

4) Waitstaff started to not do their own side work, which left me to do it for them

5) I began to develop really bad rashes that were somewhat painful from working in wet clothes.

6) A cook position opened up and was given to a new hire, who was a friend of one of the other cooks, even though I had expressed interest in cooking from day one.

So, I walked out on a busy night, punched out, put on my coat, and said to a host, "If anyone asks, I quit" and proceeded to go to the nearest bar and order pints of beer and shots of Jagermeister until they said they would no longer serve me.