View Single Post

Tanuki is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
I went into our animal shelter to buy a license for my dog, and I was behind an old lady who was shoving a terrified cat across the counter at the employees and telling them she wanted it to be euthanized. When they told her that it was a young, healthy cat and they wanted the chance to adopt it out instead, she screeched and insisted and told them that it slept on her legs and kept her up at night and she wanted it dead.

They finally took it from her, and after she left I said something to them about people being insane and horrible and they agreed with me. I figured they were going to keep the cat for a couple of days at least and try to adopt it out. I don't know why I assumed that, but I did.

As soon as I got home, I started making calls all over the place for someone from a no-kill shelter to take in this cat. Finally, a couple of hours later I called back and said I had secured a spot for it and that I would come to pick it up. They told me they euthanized the cat 10 minutes after I left. Apparently when someone demands the animal be killed, they have to kill it.

That poor cat did nothing more than try to curl up on a cranky old woman's legs, and now it's dead. If I'd known they were going to euthanize it like that, I would have grabbed it out of her arms and run with it. I felt so horrible. I cried and threw up for about three days, and then I cried for a full week after that. Now I won't step foot in the shelter again.
Oh my god....

The most that happened when I worked at a humane society was the rabid chihuahua incident.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Kitsa. Internet hug.