View Single Post
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM       
Just watched The Master for a second time, it has solidified it's place as my new all time favorite P.T. Anderson film. The movie is shot on 70mm so you get pristine detail in the shots while having that depth and feel of 35mm. Johnny Greenwood (guitarist of Radiohead) provides his second score to an Anderson film that goes deeply hand and hand with the films visuals, adding a rich but dark aide to the emotion bestowed in what I consider P.T. Andersons' masterpiece. Alongside with powerhouse performances from Joaquin Phoenix (Freddie Quell) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (Lancaster Dodd) and breath taking photography and scenery, The Master transcends the audience with visuals and the raw fear in all of us, the longing of something/someone to follow. The movie deals with the existential restlessness, such as Freddie finding himself with a "self-improving" movement (loosely based of Scientology, mostly the roots) which has dubbed themselves "The Cause". It's not even much a relevancy that The Cause is even being connected to Scientology or any other type of cult, it acts more of a vessel to compel the meaning that everyone faces within themselves that we all have a longing for a "master", someone/thing to follow and abide by. I just can not get over some of the dialog, e.g. “Freddy. Sailor of the seas. You pay no rent. Free to go where you please. Then go. Go to that landless latitude. And good luck. For if you figure a way to live without serving a Master, any Master, then let the rest of us know, will you? For you’d be the first person in the history of the world.” Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. The most beautiful thing to ever be shot to celluloid.