View Single Post
Wasabi King
Troubleshoot is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM        RE4: killer of a classic?
Many people probably remember (and still play) the earlier resident evil games, from the very first one on the playstation to RE4. While RE4 has been claimed to completely top the previous titles, I believe it has killed a classic. Unintentionally, but still.

Veterans of the RE series knew the game had limited re-playablility. Sure, it was tough your first go through, but once you beat the game it went from "survival horror" to "survival walk though the park and pet the pretty doggies". Just about no one dies replaying through the game.

Well, there was a way to get the original thrill of RE back, but it would require skill, more skill then most people could even begin to fathom.

The Knife Run (Que dramatic music)

For those who haven't had the video gaming pleasure of playing Resident Evil one, the knife was pretty much the P.O.S. (piece of shit) weapon every game has. It did little damage, hell the first enemy you fought with it took 7-9 slashes of the knife before it even considered dying. Also, you had to get close enough for the zombie to actually bite you to hit it with said knife. Most people tucked it away in the magical item box first chance they could, for something considered 1000 times more useful, such as the lighter.

Imagine the entire game, with enemies more then three times as tough and several bosses, with just that knife. Not pretty eh?

Yet, there was some guy who did it, and he probably has earned the ultimate bragging rights for resident evil. It became a challenge, a completely different game with the first. Many people have tried or done a knife run, and I promise you that they consider it victory hard earned.

It caught on in the gaming community, and in every title from the first to code veronica X(thats 5 or six games total), knife runs were being done and challenge was being restored.

Then RE4 came out, and while making the initial game easier, the robbed many avid (I honestly don't know what avid means) gamers of this ultimate challenge.

In RE4 (for those that haven't had the chance to play it) requires you to use a gun at some points in the game. I don't mean that there is a 1/1000000000000000000000000 chance you can get lucky and pull it off with a knife, I mean that shooting must be done.

"But wait, I'll only use the gun in those cases, that will make it count right?"

Sadly, the answer is no.

Several boss fights require the use of a gun, otherwise the bosses can't even be touched.

So the closest thing to a knife run in resident evil 4 is a "Do not upgrade your starting handgun, do not buy anything from the merchant, don't get the magnum or shotgun, handgun and knife only" run. They shortened that to the "No merchant Handgun/Knife" run, but it still lacks the ring of being call "the knife run"

I personally hope that the gameplay in the 5th resident evil brings back the knife run. Until that moment of truth is determined, all I can do is remember the knife and it's glory.

Anyone agree with me (or read that whole damn article for that matter)?

Originally it was longer, but people complained...