View Single Post
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM       
Quote:
Who is an authority on what happens in space?
Did you read the restof that paragraph? Not, "What happens in space" but "What happened in space on one particular instance that can't really be measured." Whether or not the moon landing happened isn't really a scientific subject. If there were an authority, it would be some sort of historian or anthropologist but there's not really very many space anthropologists i dont think.
I dunno its a hairy subject. Scientists could provide some evidence but they can't really be an authority. And just because somebody is an authority doesn't make what they say right. it just makes it part of the consensus.

An authority is somebody who has a degree which is relevant to the suggested claim (in this case, its anthropological, not scientific) and who states the consensus. Otherwise they are not an authority. Being an authority is basically just being an authority on consensus.

Quote:
If any of it is opinion wouldnt the theories be? I mean once they gather enough evidence wouldnt they then be able to say something is true?
For the first part, sort of. But theories are sort of accepted as being "maybe true," so when you state a theory you aren't stating fact but something which is accepted as something that might resemble the processes of the universe.
No, science, can never say whether something is "true." Although maybe it can EVENTUALLY because some people think it's cumulative and we can reach a point where we know everything about the universe with certainty. There's differing opinions.

Quote:
Dont they have degrees in fields like engineering and and astrophysics? I would think that makes them just a little more relevant?
Does a guy in engineering have a more relevant opinion on history than me?

Quote:
So what DOES science care about? I must know?
Science doesn't care about anything. EXCEPT FUCKIN THEORIES. AND I MEAN REALLY FUCKIN EM HARD IN THE ASS TILL THEY FOLD. THATS SCIENCE.

Quote:
Does this make religion a vag? A giant fucking VAG?
No, that doesn't make religion a vag.

Quote:
Say it aint so!