Thread: Terri Schiavo
View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
This being taken up in special session by congress to perform an end run around the judicial branch of government is an abomination, and just one more sign of the contempt the current Republican administration has for our carefully balanced system of government.
But if a death row inmate can appeal their case to the supreme court, why can't the family of Terri Schiavo? There's legislation in the Florida state legislature to try to allow just such a thing, but too little too late in Terri Schiavo's case.

Quote:
If the literal hell fundamentalists believe in exists, there may well be a few senators and congressmen sincere enough about this to avoid it. But I'm certain the doors are wide open for people using this families tragedy as a wedge issue.
I think, while some clearly may have used it as a stunt, most saw this as a serious matter. Many were compelled I'm sure by their own moral beliefs. Keep in mind, this vote even split the Democrats. The most vocal ones were opposed, but if you look at the vote, basically the same amount voted in favor of it.

I will concede however that the way this passed through the Senate would be hilarious, if it weren't of course so terribly sad and pathetic. Three members. Santorum, Frist, and somebody else. Three guys stood in the chamber and played out parliamentary procedures. It would've made any bannana republic proud.