View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:33 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
If Britain and Australia aren't enough to count as Multilateral action in a war against Iraq, Britain and Canada hardly count torwards Multilateral action in rebuilding Afghanistan. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
I think this is apples and oranges. You questioned whether the nations who intended to support Afghanistan were doing so, and I'm saying that Canada and Britain certainly seem to be, at least to the best of their ability. They have little to economically gain out of it, as you have already kind of alluded to. Unlike the other argument, where lame duck countries like Latvia certainly see a hopeful piece of the proverbial pie in supporting America.

I likewise think you're overstating the need yo set up a military police state in Afghanistan. While the war was going on, we argued that the Taliban was rotten, and that we were "liberating" Afghanistan. We see that this was not the case at all, which brings us to Iraq. I am against this war, but I think I am more so against this facade of an argument for doing it. Liberation wasn't the game in Afghanistan, and I don't feel it is in Iraq, either.