View Single Post
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM       
So for the last week I had a course at CSTAR (Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics). It was kind of like an OR prep course, focusing on skills and situations that you may encounter in the operating room.
Highlights include (and any of these I could have made into a story)
  • Electrosurgery - Used a Bovie to cut up some pork. This was our second day of rotation and using a tool that produces over 1000°C to cauterize was awesome. Plus we set it on spray coag mode (which you see the electricity arc)
  • Suturing - Holy crap am I ever bad at suturing. Guess I need some more sewing classes or something. Also it was on pig's feet which was gross.
  • Laproscopic Surgery Sim - This was pretty cool and very challenging. Using little simple robot arms to grab things and only being guided by a camera is tough. We had a challenge to see who could transfer 6 hoops onto 6 pegs the fastest. My time was 55 seconds... The record was 24
  • Anesthesia machine - Taught the basics of which this dial does and what gas goes where. They asked for a volunteer, which of course was myself. To my disappointment, I was not anesthetized but instead they just took my vitals. But I impressed everyone by lowering my SpO2 to 90%! (The lowest healthy people get safely is 92)
  • Intubation - Balls hard on mannequins and probably even more challenging on some individual. Using a Laryngoscope to move someone's tongue and jaw is a lot of work. Especially because you have to use your non-dominant hand; your dominant hand guides the tube!
  • My first ever cadaver lab! - Cholecystectomy. Was intense as hell. Likely won't ever get to do this again, but it was pretty fascinating. All the friends I told about this thought it was gross, but I learned a lot from it. Like how crowded it is inside a person - four people's hands take up a lot of room. Oh, and remember all the names for tools is brutal.* For the record: people are much easier to cut through than pig's feet.

*Kellys, mayos, mets, needle drivers, lauers, wagens, richards, snaps, towel clips...

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD