Thread: Grey Lady Dumb
View Single Post
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:50 PM       
Here are letters to the editor, published on the front page of the online version of the NY Times. Would I expect these letters to be published in say, the Post? Unlikely.

__________________________________________________ __

Betrayal of Trust: The Jayson Blair Scandal (6 Letters)
to the Editor:

Re "Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception" (front page, May 11):

I have just finished reading your lengthy coverage of Jayson Blair's fabrications. You go into great detail in recreating the facts, but you miss the mark on management's taking responsibility for the situation.

I, for one, expect more out of our government, out of business leaders and out of your editors. Jayson Blair should have been shut down and fired. Your article reflects a serious case of denial. I am very disappointed.
JOHN STARK
Palm City, Fla., May 11, 2003

To the Editor:

Regarding the Jayson Blair debacle ("Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception," front page, May 11), when I was a child, my mom gave me a book called "Page One." The book contained The New York Times's front page from major news events.

As a child, I counted "Page One" among my favorite books. I believed every word of what I read. But now everything has changed.

Why did you spoil the special trust you have with millions of readers? You are the pre-eminent news organization in the world, yet you gave extra chances and promotions to someone who did not deserve them.

I hope that you haven't destroyed your integrity because of political correctness. If you have, you should admit it and take steps to make sure that it never happens again.
STEPHEN SILVIA
Providence, R.I., May 11, 2003

To the Editor:

While I disagree with virtually every editorial position that The New York Times takes and the way it covers many of its stories, I must grudgingly commend you on your handling of the Jayson Blair affair (front page, May 11).

Instead of covering it up or playing it down, you investigated the matter and put your findings on the first page for all to see.

That is the American way. I salute you. GEORGE RATHER
Spring, Tex., May 11, 2003

To the Editor:

What an unfortunate reality ("Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception," front page, May 11). One long-festering bad apple does diminish the reputation of The New York Times.

As a lifelong reader of The Times, I must say it will take a long time for me to so readily receive its nurture again. RICHARD D. KIRK
Wyckoff, N.J., May 11, 2003

To the Editor:

As a 42-year-old black man, currently with The Associated Press, in the early stages of a career in journalism, and aspiring to be a reporter on a major national desk, I was hurt to read that the human frailty of another journalist overwhelmed his integrity and ethics, bringing shame on us all (front page, May 11). The abundance of real news and genuine facts makes it unnecessary to fabricate either.

Skepticism is one of the qualities that enable a journalist to develop accurate copy. Skepticism leads to questions that get beneath the surface to reveal the facts. Skepticism can preserve the integrity of the newsroom as well as it preserves the integrity of a story.

Now, the actions of one have wounded and marked us all. We will heal. Editors and management for The New York Times will revisit communication and evaluation processes. Jayson Blair must examine his own conscience. In the end, we must go with our gut and our instinct.

Each reporter must be the keeper of the other. The integrity of our profession demands no less.
DARREN JOSEPH ELZIE
Hackensack, N.J., May 11, 2003

To the Editor:

Re "Times Reporter Who Resigned Leaves Long Trail of Deception" (front page, May 11):

I am a rookie reporter for a small daily newspaper in southwestern New Hampshire, and I was livid after reading about Jayson Blair's deceit.

I don't understand why no one checked to be sure that Jayson Blair graduated from the University of Maryland.

I don't understand how a note from a top editor suggesting that Mr. Blair be removed was given little or no attention. But most of all, I don't understand why the paper that is supposed to be the best of them all kept forgiving mistake after mistake, suggesting that he was young but promising.

I am not perfect and have made my share of mistakes. But I can count on my hands alone the number of corrections printed for articles that I wrote since I started last August, and still have a few fingers left over.

I do not say this to gloat. My paper expects me to write regularly, but first to write accurately. It forgives corrections the first few months. It is a lot less forgiving after six months on the job. And that is how it should be.

While I respect The Times for publishing a front-page article about Jayson Blair's fabrications, the paper has lost a lot of credibility in my eyes, and that saddens me.
ERIKA COHEN
Keene, N.H., May 12, 2003