View Single Post
Forum Virgin
Anselm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:56 PM        I made a wrong turn at Metal Slug
Last week I discovered I-Mockery. I did so while looking for information for one of my favorite games, Viewpoint. This is when I discovered the Neo-Geo I have owned since 1990 could have given me so much more. I also realized I made a wrong turn 14 years ago when I chose to not buy Metal Slug.

I almost had the original Metal Slug. Heard about it through EGM when it was released and almost bought it. My wife convinced me the $250 or so could be better spent on 5 other games for the N64, or getting a Playstation. I couldn't really argue the financial logic, and I turned my back on what I thought was a system well past its time.

Then two days ago, I found a used copy of MS Anthology for the Wii and bought it. What an awesome franchise. I've played through the first 3 missions of MS1, and then I jumped to 6 just to see the graphical improvements. Can't put it down, and now I want to experience it with my AES controller. I can rapid fire by alternating between my middle and pointer finger on the Neo-Geo controller. Something that just can't be done on a Wii or Gamecube controller.

I hate to say it, but I am truly saddened by how much I have missed out on. I don't own any games past 1993 for my AES. I bought it as a teenager, and when I joined the military in 1993 my Neo-Geo became a legacy system as I continued to buy the newer consoles.

Jump to April of 2010. While bragging about my Neo-Geo (which I have done for the past 20 years, since I knew no one else who ever owned one) I pulled up some internet stuff on Viewpoint. It was then that my heart sank. I started digging deeper into what I abandoned in 1993. As a defender of the 2D days, constantly complaining everytime an old school game goes 3D, I was shocked to see how long the Neo-Geo continued to grow. It was like finding out you had a brother, right after he died.

For the past several days I have been obsessed about learning more. Bios chips, MVS vs. AES, system language regions, mods to sound and video output, converters, emulators, etc. I have now turned my back on my PS3 and X-Box 360.

I found a bunch of older AES titles that have been fairly affordable. A new copy of Blue's Journey, Ghost Pilots and Sengoku for about $30 each. I grabbed them. I plan on buying anything else I can find for under $150. I know I won't like all of them, but adding to my collection is what I want right now.

I have had the following titles since they were released:

Fatal Fury 2
Viewpoint
Soccer Brawl
Ninja Combat
Last Resort
Alpha Mission II
Nam 1975
Magician Lord
Baseball Stars
Baseball Stars 2
2020 Super Baseball
Samurai Showdown
League Bowling

With the exception of Soccer Brawl I have beaten them all, on MVS setting, with limited continues. Apparently Americans are even bad at Soccer video games.

I want to experience the titles that most consider to be the best, crowning achievements, of Neo-Geo. Pulstar, Metal Slug series, and Mark of the Wolf jump to the front as games I must experience. Clearly the AES versions of these games are well beyond my grasp financially. So now what? Buy an MVS machine, get a $250 MVS converter, or chalk it up as a missed opportunity?

I have always wanted an arcade machine. Since the only affordable way to see these games is through MVS, I am now looking for one. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I told her that if it is not realistic, I will then turn to the $250 converter. Either way, I need to make up for lost time with my Neo-Geo. How I managed to go so long without knowing the system was still supported is beyond me. Time to stop complaining about the demise of 2D gaming. I have a lot of making up to do.

~Anselm~