View Single Post
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM       
Quote:
Those examples have to do with exercising restraint because of ethical standards and taste; call it editing. By contrast, I commissioned the cartoons in response to several incidents of self-censorship in Europe caused by widening fears and feelings of intimidation in dealing with issues related to Islam. And I still believe that this is a topic that we Europeans must confront, challenging moderate Muslims to speak out. The idea wasn't to provoke gratuitously -- and we certainly didn't intend to trigger violent demonstrations throughout the Muslim world. Our goal was simply to push back self-imposed limits on expression that seemed to be closing in tighter.
You know what would really comment on self imposed censorship and intimidation by radical musilms? actually commenting on self imposed censorship and intimidation by radical musilms. But instead the newspaper chooses to be disrespectful and directly insult the religion of islam instead of muslims. i think it's bullshit that they insult Islam and then say "hey guys seriously it was symbolism. We were trying to show how people shouldn't be intimdated by disrespecting islam, not that we wanted to disrespect islam, we just wanted to make a point, but we didn't want to be obvious so we didn't actually make the point, but we didn't mean to disrepect anyone"