View Single Post
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM       
I pretty much think exactly the same thing. The finals will likely be Lakers Vs. Celtics. It will be a good series, but will it be the classic it was in the 80s? I don't believe so. For one thing, most teams these days, as was implied earlier, are going for the "Best team money can buy". Sure there are exceptions, the Spurs for example. But the trend in the NBA (and all of sports for that matter) is to use your money to build a super squad to win right now, generate interest and through that, money. Consequently, that takes away the dynasty factor that the Lakers and Celtic both had in the 80s. Another thing that makes me think this series will lack the luster of the 80s is the lack of personalities in it. The Lakers and Celtics had great personalities in the 80s, Jabbar, Bird, Johnson, and Ainge are good examples. The personalities of nowadays just feel much less interesting to me. I will watch, but it will likely make me pine for the NBA of the 80s, which is not coming back. I guess I will have to take what I can get though, and the playoffs will be interesting regardless.