View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM       
It's much simpler than that. 55% belive the Bible is literally true, every word.

What % of the American people do you suppose have EVER read 'every word' in the bible, or even most of it? And I mean read it themselves, not had it read at them and interpretted for them.

I'm going to say the % of people seriously familliar with the Bible in any sort of coherent way is way, way, way, way less than 55%. It's a thick book, you have to be at LEAST a high school level reader to make any sense of it at all, and it's got some very big words.

It's EASY to believe every word in a book you haven't read is literally true. All you have to do is have a simplistic certainty that if and when you get around to reading it, it will be true and it won't contradict itself. After all, God wrote it. You don't need to read it to know God is not a liar.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty offensikve to believe there's a book out their written by the Lord himself and never get around to sitting down and reading it cover to cover. If I was the Lord, I'd at very least be hurt, if not actively pissed off by people who said they emphatically believed every word of my book, but hadn't read it.

And He knows what you've read and when. He knows when you're sleeping and when you're awake, and when you've been bad and when you've been good.

Oh, crap, that's Santa isn't it?

Did he write any books?