View Single Post
Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizbenny View Post
OK that's again, NOT how printing works. If they split the paper types then the cost would actually go UP.

And at BEST they'd save $0.10 MAXIMUM per issue going from glossy to crappy paper.

I could point to a lot of culprits that led us to this point... and there's no SINGLE one. A TON of mistakes have been made industry-wide over the past couple decades. From abandoning the newsstands for Direct Market, to Marvel's ill-fated purchases of numerous companies including Heroes World, to Diamond's monopolistic tactics, to stories that pander to fanboys instead of trying to reach new audiences, to the advent of video games, to, to the gouging of printers and their price-fixing tactics....

That list goes on and on. In a word, short-sightedness, greed, and an overall unwillingness to adapt are why comics are $3 and circling the toilet bowl.

They're at a point now where they frankly HAVE to charge $3 for the comic to lose LESS money. They're still losing. Make no mistake. They simply cannot afford to sell those comics for less than that.

It's sad.
Yep,

I agree with a lot of what you said. There are way too many people at the top of the totem poll who only know how to do one thing....run the dam thing right into the ground.

Bad business decisions made at the top that negatively effect the employees, distributors, retailers, and finally us...the customers. In Manhattan I still see some comics at news stands but they are few and far between. They should have diversified their retail sectors. It shouldn't just be the comic shop that have comics it should be every single stationary store, Deli, book store, toy store, and anything else you can think of.

I like how you summed it up. Greed, short-sightedness, and overall unwillingness to adapt.

So what titles are you into? I just got back on the wagon and I've been doing my usual back issue foraging. Other than the new Warlord series I haven't really picked one to sink my teeth into.