View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage the Cowardly Dog
I'm so sick of the Cana thing.
I wasn't talking about Cana. I was talking about cluster bombs, which according to the allegations, have effectively turned parts of Southern Lebanon into a minefield.

Quote:
Are cluster bombs innaccurate and a bad choice? sure, are they tantamount to nukes? NO!
Spreading landmines over an area equivalent to the fallout zone of a nuke is tantamount to dropping a nuke becuase they both continue to do damage even should every party in the conflict agree to pretend to be best friends and sign treaties. The scale of initial destruction is different, but the lingering effect is equally problematic, by my reckoning.

I don't really understand how these cluster bombs could have such a large rate of delayed explosions, but if it actually is a significant rate, and assuming the allegations are true (they've yet to be denied), then is there any way we aren't treading into 'War Crime' territory. Please note, 'they War Crimed us first' is not internationally recognized as an excuse for committing War Crimes.

Quote:
This wasn't shooting blindly at random targets this was shooting precicly (although with cluster bombs) at the individuals places they were using as bases which changed rapidly cause they were getting their asses kicked over the month.
What little I could quickly find about these cluster bombs we make says they cover an area approximately equal to two football fields. And that the ones we made for the Gulf War had a dud rate of about 30%. (but I really want a source that isn't as rabidly pacifist as the Mennonites, so help me if you know a better one)

That doesn't seem so precise to me. Sounds more like a traditional bombing with a landmine dispersal thrown in for bonus.

"unexploded cluster bombs fuel anger and resentment and make security, stabilization, and reconstruction efforts that much harder," - some liberal bitch whom I happen to think makes a good point occasionally.