View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
McKinney and another black incumbent in Alabama were "exposed" as receiving lots of money from Pro-Arab groups. That didn't help either of their failed election attempts, once it was widely known. 2002, remember? A bad thing... The McKinney response was to point to campaign contribution to Magette's run (another Democratic black woman, her challenger) from Jewish groups, hence McKinney's father's soundbite indicating his reason for his daughter's primary defeat. He spelled it out. J E W S. Classy.
Uncalled for, certainly. But I refer you to my above lament over Vince's unborn young....

Groups giving money to the candidates they support, or against the candidates they oppose, is nothing new. However, Majette received a fairly large influx of out-of-district cash from national Jewish lobby groups. While this is legal at the moment, it is something I feel raises some ethical questions.

Quote:
Additionally, you might remember post 9/11 Rudy Guliani turning down a bunch of money from a Saudi sheik (or whatever) on the gorunds that his note enclosed with the pledge that intimated that the US deserved the attack in some way. McKinney wrote to the guy, asking for the check in order to fund efforts to fight racism, if I remember right. Again, not very well accepted.
I believe she wanted him to use the funds to rebuild. Maybe not smart, but money is money. Why not use their money for a good cause, like rebuilding NYC, rather than having it potentially end up supporting more terrorism?

Furthermore, as the article above points out, McKinney was hardly pro-Saudi. She was the only one who was initially calling for Saudi families to be investigated, as well as the WAMY. She was ahead of the pack, and she was right in being there.

Quote:
She did a lot to alienate her base, which was evenly mixed between black folks and the very white, very white-self-hating and very ultra-liberal Emory University crowd.
Not to throw out accusations, but I'd wager that this is a fairly borderline racist remark.

You're also wrong. I was fortunate (or unfortunate, perhaps) enough to cover this primary fairly extensively, and there were certain factors that have been neglected by the mainstream press (surprise, surprise):

1. She actually had MORE votes in this primary than in her previous TWO primaries for the Democratic nomination. So the claim that she "lost her base" is, well, off base (no pun intended).

2. Georgia is unique that they permit cross over voting for primaries. This essentially makes primaries more important than the general races. If you are a Liberal in a conservative district, you probably switch over on primary day and vote AGAINST the Republican you like the least. This is what happened to McKinney in her district, much as it did to Bob Barr in his district.

3. McKinney was a victim of redistricting. Her district had formerly been located in Atlanta, more urban, generally Democratic supportive. With redistricting, her district became part-suburb/part-urban. Now her district had become more middle-class, more white, less Liberal. This likewise hurt her, but DESPITE this, she still received more primary votes than past races.

Quote:
For the rest of us, not responsible for her career directly, we're glad she's gone. These were just her crowning achievements. She has had years to build a legacy of idiocy, and she was a VERY scary person to have highly placed on important committees.
How so? Anymore dangerous than a President and Defence Sec. who promised "stockpiles" of WMD, and were willing to risk both American and Iraqi lives in order to prove it...??? But I digress....

Quote:
I hope she stays in politics just for the entertainment value. Read all you want about her, but, please, watch a few speeches before you make your decision. A very disturbing woman.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I have seen her speak in person, as well as on TV and on radio, and I know her opinions pretty well.

Quote:
Sure there's a lot of controversy, as there really were concentrated efforts made by Republicans and Democrats alike to strip her power from her. The Green Party seems an appropriate place, but i wouldn't mind her shining a light on the UN, as has been proposed.... nothing like a camera loving wacko to draw attention to government. She SHOULD be in a spotlight, as well... all the better to keep an eye on what she's doing...
Again, quite an interesting argument, considering SHE, rather than our President, was the one who proposed investigating the Sa'ud family fully.