View Single Post
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:28 PM       
I've been confused for a while as to why people think Iraq can be a liberated, democratic nation. There is nothing in it's people, culture, or history that makes it a nation. The only reason it exists as it does is because of colonial influence i.e British, and brutal authoritarian dictators (monarchy, military government, baathist government). And as to the Bush administrations claims that their actions are 'stabalizing' the middle east... Whats going to happen is Iraq is either going to be a rebellion plagued nation where there is no real center of power, or it will eventually split apart, most likely with the creation of a Kurdish state in the north.

In any event, I give you all my personal guarntee that the United States will NOT build a new Iraq. No matter how hard they try, Iraq will never have a legitamite central government with control over the rest of the nation. They MAY however, be able to keep things in enough order to extract enough oil to make their occupation worthwhile.