View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
hearts and minds, hearts and minds. the standard of living in Iraq has increased immeasurably; well over half the people have faith in and support the new government, the new army, the new police force, people are making more money, receiving better educations, becoming able to afford western decadence, and yet many of them spit on their benefactors. really, what do we owe to the international community?
Is it really that sunny and joyful there? I mean, I agree with you for the most part, but it can't all be because the evil, liberal media is reporting just negative stuff.

Who polled half the population?

Anyway, I suppose we owe nothing to the international community. But we do make demands of them. We want them to comply with the TWAT, we want them to send 9 soldiers to places so we don't look like a hegemon, we want to send prisoners there to torture so we can say "we don't do that!". So I guess we owe them very little, but they might soon disagree. We want to win this war, right? Then I think we need the international community. We need them on the same page as us, and we need them to believe that there is a joint-purpose here. Having them pick up some of the tab would be nice, too.

Quote:
a good emperor would instill nationalism in his own people, as well as a healthy respect for imperial authority both at home and abroad.
You think Bush has done a good job of this? Take FDR for example-- he was able to instill this nationalism, and he was able to use his Pearl Harbor to not only mobilize support, but to mobilize men in a draft. Think Bush has sold his foreign policy for Iraq well enough to do that???