Thread: .
View Single Post
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:22 PM       
The UN isworthless after a few months of inspections?

Not quite Kev, credit me more than that. They are worthless because they lack the will to backup their main function. If they are supposed to broker peace between all nations, that must be willing to enforce that will. They have shown time and time again entirely too much temerity in restraining rogue states. Rwanda, Bosnia, Iraq, Timor. . .The list goes on.

Was Saddam going to unload his arsenal of WMDs on Kuwait, Israel, and America WHILE inspectors and news media (not to mention
heavy American and Israeli intelligence, I'm sure) were there?

Maybe, like Israel, he was only keeping them to ensure his own security. Israel is the only country who, illegally and openly, manufactures neutron bombs. . .But the vital difference between the two, is that while Israel never signed the international accord saying they would neither create not use such weapons, Iraq has signed saying that it neither manufactures, possesses or intends to use certain weapons. And he has violated that.

The UN inspections were not based on the premise that he didn't have illegal weapons, they were based on the premise that IF he has them, or the capabilities to make/get them, then he needs to divvy up and show us the stash, or when we find them, no cake after dinner. We have skipped that part, assumed the unproven, and gone to the scolding. This strikes me as wrong, sorry.

Unless, and this is a stretch I know. Bush actually DID know what he was talking about, had proof, and the UN simply didn't buy it. While unlikely, it is possible given the world view of the US.

Well, Hawaii time, I'm in the middle of March Madness, and I have to meet some friends at Dave and Busters (one of the only bars open before noon with satellite) so I have to cut this short. I'll be back tonight though.