View Single Post
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyelobe View Post
How about "No Wave"? A lot of the good groups in the late 70s and early 80s preferred that one.
The term "hardcore" does seem to have been commandeered by a lot of East Coast bands, particularly ones who sing about this "straight edge" rubbish. But it wasn't always so.

I stumbled across a decent documentary at the library a couple months ago, called "American Hardcore: The History of American Punk 1980 -1986". It's not definitive as there are a lot bands missing (Dead Kennedys and Misfits to name a couple) but it tells an interesting story.

Punk already existed but, a few bands in LA termed themselves "hardcore" punk. People who attended shows would rampage in the club, breaking shit. Soon the bands would tour, spreading "hardcore" to places like San Francisco, Nevada, and the Pacific Northwest. Eventually, it got to the East Coast where it really caught on with the bands Agnostic Front, Slapshot and others.

The whole "straight edge" thing was inadvertantly created in the DC scene, where a few people were rebelling against the idea that you had to rebel by alcohol and drug use, as they had seen so many stadium rocker fans doing.

There's more in the doc, it's a good watch, especially if you like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Flipper, Adolescents, 7 Seconds, Agnostic Front and TSOL.
Lots of little interviews, some with people you'd never expect like Moby, who claims he was the lead singer for Flipper for one day!

Good on ya, eyelobe! No Means No has been one of my favorite bands for 15 years.

Sacks, I wouldn't fuck GG with my worst enemy's dick. I'd prolly catch the AIDS just by looking at his corpse.

And how come there's no mention of The Meatmen? Great band! Big Boys, The Dicks,
Scratch Acid and The Crucifucks also deserve mentioning in a Misfits thread.