View Single Post
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM       
By "IDF Brass" do you mean the military leadership itself, or the PM of Defense and the Knesset itself? Israelis are inherently cocky. It's part of the persona. If they didn't want peace, there are easier ways to go about war. For all they've been accused of (Nazism, racial oppression, apharthaid, genocide, etc.) it's obvious there is a true desire for peace.

My main concern is that you're applying your belief that all nations are trouble, and all states indulge in forms of racial oppression, to one tiny nation which is often made to be the scapegoat. It's not that the pro-Israel contingent doesn't see mistakes, or flaws in the execution of Israel's young democracy - it's just that we can't speak to those issues without it being interpreted as a concession to all the libels, and disinformation. As in "Aha, see the IDF *is* excessive! We told you!". I can appreciate humor and satire, but unless the joke is responding like an uninformed parrot with a simplistic view of the the situation, I see no reason not to respond as if you're sincere.

Regarding 1967 - it wasn't a landmark year for Israel, truthfully. The borders were never defined, and Israel was attacked again 6 years later on Yom Kippur. The situation really is worse then in 1967 though... as I've said before, there sure were millions of Palestinians salivating right on the green line , or terrorist armies out in the open, back then. A good argument could be made that things have improved for the Palestinians, both in terms of furthering the mythology of their identity, to even the quality of life they experience, even living in a harsh warzone. They have self rule, and full autonomy for the first time in modern history. Sadly, being Palestinian has become all about war with the Jewish State....even if they manage to drive all the Jews in the ocean, what are they left with?