View Single Post
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
I believe there is also a Vietnamese religion that is monotheist... Just to... Let you know...

I also think Sikhism is monotheist...
Technically Sikhism's more of a philosophy and has no definite concept of God (they define God as the Universe).

The Vietnamese religions are various forms of Buddhism (which has no "God" but the lifeforce of Nirvana, as Buddha is simply a man who first achieved enlightenment), with the later additions of Christianity (no explanation needed I hope), Islam (again, I said it was monotheistic), and Hinduism (which is very much polytheisitic).

You might be thinking of Confucianism or Daoism? Confucianism is not so much a religion as a way to live your life ethically, through various codes of conduct and the "gentlemanly arts". Daoism is a religion that calls for the respect of ancestors and the balance of nature and elements of our spirit (it's a bit difficult to explain). There is, as far as I know, no definite "God" image as it is more of a blend of religious views and philosophy than actual religion (this is where the concept of Ying and Yang come from).

If you remember what this religion you're thinking of is called, please tell me (I'm fascinated by religions, as you can probably tell).
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.